Nacton Parish Council

mobile menu button
Home > History

Nacton Notable Dates

1010

Earl of East Anglia, Ulfketel fought the Danes at Seven Hills where Nacton is now

1086

Doomsday Book mentions Burnaville (a Hall House between Nacton and Levington) and Roger Bigod who controlled the area

1200

St Martin's Church built and an Augustinian Priory at Alnesbourne

1300

de Holbrokes at Broke Hall

1634

Richard Broke, Chief Baron of the Exchequer, owns Broke Hall

1725

Admiral Edward Vernon (1684-1757) lives at Orwell Park

1739

Vernon becomes a national hero at the battle of Portobello

1740

Vernon earns the nickname of “Old Grog” by diluting the Navy’s rum ration

1757

House of Industry built at Nacton for 350 paupers

1773

Margaret Catchpole born at Nacton

1779

Charles Vere Broke born, later becomes Wellington's Quartermaster

1801

Margaret Catchpole transported to Australia for horse theft

1813

Philip Broke in command of the “Shannon” takes the “Chesapeake” at Boston

1813

George Tomline born (-1889) owning the 20,000 acre Orwell Park Estate

1830

Sir Robert Harland of Orwell Park constructs “decoy” ponds for duck hunting

1839

“Sporting Review” publishes the race to Nacton Church - the first steeplechase

1840

Orwell Park house burnt down and rebuilt by Tomline

1850

Nacton village moved from opposite the church to present position

1868

Village shop opened at Ivy House by Eliza Keeble

1870

Broke Chapel added to church South Nave of St Martin’s Church

1872

Observatory built at Orwell Park by Tomline. Telescope costs £1687 19s 4d

1874

John Isaac Plummer, Nacton’s Astronomer, lives at Orwell Dene

1881

610 people in the village, 125 people in the “poor house”

1889

Tomline dies and is cremated at Woking. Orwell Park inherited by E G Pretyman

1894

Pretyman marries Lady Beatrice Adine Bridgman

1886

Workhouse closed — occupants moved to Ipswich

1906

Prince and Princess of Wales visit Orwell Park

1911

Village School opened adjacent to “The Anchor” public house

1919

Construction of Village Hall commenced by volunteers

1923

WI started in village by Lady Beatrice and Mrs Arnold Foster

1925

Tom Baker takes 9303 ducks at the Nacton decoy pond

1937

Orwell Park becomes a school (relocated from Aldeburgh)

1940

First Royal Tank Regiment of 7th Armored Div (Desert Rats) based at Orwell Park

1952

Amberfield School moves into converted former Workhouse

1957

Finneys Drift, formerly Bakers Lane, developed

1959

Methodist Chapel converted to second village shop

1960

Mill Piece developed and Orwell Park station closed by Beeching.

1961

Felixstowe Road widened, new “Shepherd and Dog” public house built

1964

Houses built beside village hall

1969

Post Office relocates to the  Orwell Stores. The old P.O, on Post Office Hill, is closed.

1970

Five  bungalows for elderly residents built on Palmers Field by Gillian Bence-Jones

1970

Village roadside footpath proposed, laid in 1978

1977

Forge closed, Mr Edward Jeffries last village blacksmith

1983

Mrs Keeble retired, original village shop closed after 115 years

1985

Nicholas Bence-Jones inherited Orwell Park Estate

1990

New rectory built — Cannon  Geoffrey Grant in residence

1995 Seven houses built in Tomline Court, including two within the Old Hen House

2009

Post Office closed — village shop continues in business

2010

Six“affordable” houses built by Hastoe on Water Field and dedicated by the Princess Royal

2011 Amberfield School announces closure after 84 years at various locations  
2012 Malcolm Gee celebrates 50 years as organist at St Martin's  church
2013

Mains sewerage arrives for most of the village.

2014 Rev Canon Geoffrey Grant retires as Rector after over 50 years as imcumbent
2015 Detached houses and some flats built and occupied on the former Amberfield School site
2016 Rev Canon Ian Wilson appointed priest-in-charge at St Martin's, residing in the Rectory